Generation Ocean: Coral Reefs
Examine the Literature – EXPLAIN
Class led reading and discussion of a peer-reviewed journal article pertaining to the Cheeca Rocks reef site and data featured in the Generation Ocean: Coral Reefs 360 film and Activity 3. Enables students to verify, explain, and interpret the observations made in the review of photo-mosaic imagery.
Stephanie Killingsworth 1,2,3 (view profile)
Middle – High School Students
- What is happening to corals in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary?
- How do we know what’s happening to these corals?
- Why are the observed changes in Florida coral reefs significant?
- Digital or print copies of relevant peer-reviewed journal article(s)
- Suggested: Gintert, B.E., Manzello, D.P., Enochs, I.C. et al. Coral Reefs (2018) 37: 533. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00338-018-1678-x.
- Digital or print notebook pages for student note taking
- Teacher briefly introduces class activities and assigns chunking text from article to small groups. [2 min]
- Students read assigned chunk text and mark important information (highlighting or underlining). [13 min]
- Students lead class-wide Socratic Seminar discussion of article. [25 min]
Quantity and quality of contributions made to Socratic Discussion.
If undertaking Activity 5, recommend having students record yet unanswered questions from discussion to facilitate expert Q&A.