Generation Ocean: Coral Reefs
The Experts Weigh In – ELABORATE
Arrange an in person or video-based conversation with a coral reef expert to better understand the life of a coral scientist, the current state of coral reefs, and the work being done to conserve them.
Middle – High School Students
Questions will be determined by teachers and students in order to:
- Acquire expert insight on the current state of coral reefs and the threats they are facing.
- Better understand aspects of coral science that were unclear after completion of prior activities.
- Learn about the latest scientific updates directly from those who study coral reefs.
- Establish a personal connection with an expert scientist, and thus gain a science mentor.
30 minutes [some advance preparation recommended]
- Coral scientist contact (email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange)
- If a virtual meeting, computer with projector or Smart Board
- If a virtual meeting, internet access for Skype, Zoom, Google Hangouts
- Recommended Student Prep: Populate class list of questions from preceding coral activities.
- Recommended Teacher Prep: Provide scientist a brief description of students’ experience with and knowledge of corals to date. If possible, allow scientist to preview students’ pre-populated questions (preferable curated) so that they are aware of their interests and can cater accordingly.
- Coral scientist begins by introducing themselves and their current research goals and efforts. [10 min]
- Students Q&A with Scientist. [20 min]
Quantity and quality of prepared questions and participation in and quality of discussion with scientist.